Monday, August 31, 2009

First day of Interning

Today I woke up at 6:45, thinking I would be up before most of my roommates.... Boy was I wrong! Every shower and toilet (and there are 6) was taken! After waiting OUTSIDE in my PJs, in the freezing morning air I had a FREEZING cold shower. Great way to start the day. A fridge full of whole milk (which doesn't do much for me seeing as I'm lactose intolerant), and only peanut butter and toast as an alternative to cereal. Again totally starting off on the right foot here. Then it is time to leave and the lunch foods are nowhere to be found. As we get out the door one of the cooks ran after us to tell us that the lunch packing station is set up. Same as yesterday, cheese sandwich. yum! Anyway I clearly had a terrible morning, but my internship is beyond awesome. It is a shelter for female victims of domestic abuse and their children, as well as for abused children. So obviously domestic abuse=not awesome at all. But the people that work there are great, and the kids living there are super sweet. Plus I'm going to be doing all these projects that I'm super excited about. They are starting a garden to cut down food costs so I want to see if I can start compost there, and I want to paint a mural on the walls around the garden. I will also be doing work on their income generating projects, and doing art with the kids, which I'm so looking forward to. I wish I could describe how intense this place is, the situations of those who come there seeking a haven, and the warmness of those who work there. But explaining just wouldn't do it justice. Anyway, I am really excited for all the amazing things I'm going to get to do while working there!!!

1 comment: