Thursday, November 12, 2009

Me vs Africa take two...

It seems that I always lose. We went to the South of Namibia last weekend, to meet with different NGOs and campsite managers- We stayed at a government, private, and community campsite. The weekend was really fun, we pitched our own tents, cooked our food over the fire, ad slept on the rock hard ground. It was nice to be traveling again, but by the end of the weekend I aged about 25 years, sleeping on the ground did not do good things for me. Nothing too exciting happened-then we returned back north, (in the meantime I did read the Kite Runner which was amazing) Anyway on our first dat back it was business as usual, back to my internship. On the way home the taxi I was in got pulled over by a cop and refused to show him his license. Then the cop called for reinforcements and told the driver he was going to arrest him. I was literally cracking up, watching the guy argue with the cop and the cop was losing it, it was insane. Then after several minutes of their bantering all the passengers decided to jump ship, so my friend and I did the same. We spent the rest of the day cutting quilt squares without any of the proper tools, and making christmas cards which is clearly my specialty. 
Then tuesday was the hour of power- Which is an hour spent in the pool swimming, to raise awareness and funds for Sarcoma research, in honor of Ted Mullin. My friend Catherine's family started the hour of power after losing her brother Ted to Sarcoma. So, we had a CGE Namibian Amphibian hour of power team. Almost all of us were there and it was really nice, everyone had a lot of fun, until I began throwing up about halfway through. `Little did I know that was only the beginning. Within an hour I was literally doing nothing but throwing up.  Fast forward to that night, can't keep water down, take a trip to the hospital. We went to a really nice private hospital in a nice part of windhoek and they saw me right away (and charged me an arm and a leg too). Anyway, I was sick from tuesday until today, and now finally I can eat real food, and get dressed and do something other than just watching movies. 
So that was my crazy week, where Africa definitely kicked my butt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment